May 30, 2021
The database has been updated to correct errors discovered by Christian Zwarg,
Peter Adamson, Paul Steinson and John Milmo, adding 16 recordings and
otherwise improving the search results.
April 18, 2021
Several new and modified Kelly files have been incorporated, taking the total
number of recordings over 452,000.
April 11, 2021
The 0KA file has been added to the collection.
"Matrix numbers" for the Original Series of recordings have been
corrected to reflect the day of recording and a daily serial number.
Updated versions of the BL, BK and Unlettered files have been incorporated.
February 26, 2021
Some recordings in the 0LA and CTPX files were marked with the wrong
recording size. These have now been corrected.
Issues for some recordings were erroneously listed multiple times
in search results.
February 13, 2021
New titles were added to Suf-o and Suf-a, a format correction was made in Suf-L,
and the name of a pianist accompanying Elsie Carlisle was corrected in the Bb/Cc file
as a result of correspondence from a user of the site.
A new file prepared by John Milmo, covering mobile van recordings,
special recordings and private recording made between 1934 and 1960 has been parsed,
and its more than 8,600 recordings added to the database.
December 2, 2020
Bug fix: A search term for some issue numbers erroneously returned,
no results, and sometimes data in the "Other" field was repeated.
To see a log of all changes, click
Using the Site
Use the navigation bar above to:
- go to the Basic Search screen
- go to the Advanced Search screen
- read about the database and its development
- access links to other resources
- give us feedback by sending a message that
asks a question, makes a comment, points
out any error, asks us to add information
about a known recording that is not
included in the database, or expresses an
interest in being involved in the process
of improving the database
A Few Notes
Because the Kelly files were originally unstructured Word documents,
it was difficult to extract all the
information in them into discrete fields and
impossible to arrive at consistent and
standardised forms for names of performers and titles.
Every effort has been made to design searches so that they retrieve
the recordings sought.
The database contains the following searchable fields:
- Performer(s): names of one or more performers
in various forms
- Title: names of works or titles of individual
pieces as entered by Kelly
- Matrix No.: The Matrix No. without any prefix, suffix, take number or fractional take number
- Prefix to the Matrix No.: alpha or alpha-numeric
- Suffix to the Matrix No.: alpha suffix
- Issue Number: the record company’s assigned
- Recording Date: in numeric form, in the order:
- Location: a city, country or recording venue
- File: Kelly file name
- Other: any data that could not be associated
with a particular field by the scanning program
- Notes: when data elements seem to have been
mis-situated, they are sometimes explicitly removed
and placed in this field.