Kelly On-line Database
A searchable database of recordings made by the
Gramophone Company, and its successor corporations
during the 78 RPM era.
This database is derived from lists assembled by the
late Dr. Alan Kelly and may be of use to
researchers and scholars interested in the details of
historical recordings, both published and unpublished.
It contains details of well over 400,000
recordings made in the period beginning in 1898 and ending in the
December 30, 2019
Bug fix: Search criteria based on some (apparently
seldom used) fields (e.g., file name) were being
Some searches did not find all matches when data
December 14, 2019
The website has been moved to a new server.
December 11, 2019
The basic search function should be somewhat faster.
To see a log of all changes, click
Using the Site
Use the navigation bar above to:
- go to the Basic Search screen
- go to the Advanced Search screen
- read about the database and its development
- access links to other resources
- give us feedback by sending a message that
asks a question, makes a comment, points
out any error, asks us to add information
about a known recording that is not
included in the database, or expresses an
interest in being involved in the process
of improving the database
A Few Notes
Because the Kelly files were originally unstructured Word documents,
it was difficult to extract all the
information in them into discrete fields and
impossible to arrive at consistent and
standardised forms for names of performers and titles.
Every effort has been made to design searches so that they retrieve
the recordings sought.
The database contains the following searchable fields:
- Performer(s): names of one or more performers
in various forms
- Title: names of works or titles of individual
pieces as entered by Kelly
- Matrix No.: The Matrix No. without any prefix, suffix, take number or fractional take number
- Prefix to the Matrix No.: alpha or alpha-numeric
- Suffix to the Matrix No.: alpha suffix
- Issue Number: the record company’s assigned
- Recording Date: in numeric form, in the order:
- Location: a city, country or recording venue
- File: Kelly file name
- Other: any data that could not be associated
with a particular field by the scanning program
- Notes: when data elements seem to have been
mis-situated, they are sometimes explicitly removed
and placed in this field.