Kelly On-line Database
A searchable database of recordings made by the
Gramophone Company, and its successor corporations
during the 78 RPM era.
This database is derived from lists assembled by the
late Dr. Alan Kelly and may be of use to
researchers and scholars interested in the details of
historical recordings, both published and unpublished.
It contains details of well over 400,000
recordings made in the period beginning in 1898 and ending in the
June 6, 2020
A few corrections to recording suffixes in the Suf-k file
to correctly capture early use of suffix C and HP, and a few
other corrections based on user reports.
May 24, 2020
A few more corrections, based on reports from
May 10, 2020
A few corrections have been made, based on reports from
May 2, 2020
Fixed a bug (reported by Peter Adamson) that caused all
issue numbers for recordings in the BR.docx file to be dropped.
Also corrected a couple of errors reported by Enric Giné.
April 5, 2020
A couple of errors reported by Theo Morgan have
March 21, 2020
A few errors reported by Philip Stuart have
To see a log of all changes, click
Using the Site
Use the navigation bar above to:
- go to the Basic Search screen
- go to the Advanced Search screen
- read about the database and its development
- access links to other resources
- give us feedback by sending a message that
asks a question, makes a comment, points
out any error, asks us to add information
about a known recording that is not
included in the database, or expresses an
interest in being involved in the process
of improving the database
A Few Notes
Because the Kelly files were originally unstructured Word documents,
it was difficult to extract all the
information in them into discrete fields and
impossible to arrive at consistent and
standardised forms for names of performers and titles.
Every effort has been made to design searches so that they retrieve
the recordings sought.
The database contains the following searchable fields:
- Performer(s): names of one or more performers
in various forms
- Title: names of works or titles of individual
pieces as entered by Kelly
- Matrix No.: The Matrix No. without any prefix, suffix, take number or fractional take number
- Prefix to the Matrix No.: alpha or alpha-numeric
- Suffix to the Matrix No.: alpha suffix
- Issue Number: the record company’s assigned
- Recording Date: in numeric form, in the order:
- Location: a city, country or recording venue
- File: Kelly file name
- Other: any data that could not be associated
with a particular field by the scanning program
- Notes: when data elements seem to have been
mis-situated, they are sometimes explicitly removed
and placed in this field.